It is located in the centre of the old town. Its construction began in 1235, under the name of the Church of Santa María, and the urban centre of the town sprung up around it, it was the cultural and political centre of the new Christian community. In 1278, Pope Innocent IV, using a papal bull, brought it under the protection of the Holy Seal and changed the original name of Santa María to the current one, in honour of the apostle Nathanael (Bartholomew).
This church of Gothic origins has gradually been transformed over time with different renovations. In the 14th century, in 1350, it had a Latin cross floor shape and two chapels. In the 15th century the small doorway was opened up. In the 17th century the church had to be extended and renovated; in 1625 the choir was created and the organ was installed, restoration work was carried out between 1633 and 1639, the small portal that had been desecrated by pirates in 1552 was reopened. Years later it was necessary to prop up the choir and strengthen the cemetery faced with the possibility of a collapse. In 1669, the new sacristy was built. In the 18th century the pastor Antonio Aznar extended the church by adding the crossing and the presbytery. In the 19th century, in 1863, they built the chapel of El Sagrario, renovated the facade and the new bell tower. In the 20th century a series of renovations were carried out to mark the canonisation of Catalina Thomàs, the most significant was on the bell tower, carried out in 1925 in neoclassical style.
The church´s interior houses a central nave with its main altar and twelve chapels with their beautiful altars and an organ with its corresponding choir. It is worth highlighting the chapel of the Sacrament and that of Saint Catalina Thomàs, which has a beautiful image of the saint. This church was erected thanks to the effort of all the local people in this valley, and for them it has always been and still is their second home, and the centre of all the social and worship activities. You can visit it during mass.