It was founded in 1278 by Ramon Llull as a monastery and school of Oriental languages where the Franciscans learned Arabic in order to then go and spread Christianity in North Africa. It later passed into the hands of different monastic orders, and in 1487 it marked a milestone in the history of Mallorca when the island´s first printing press was installed.
Following a period of decline, in 1872 it was purchased by Archduke Ludwig Salvator of Austria; it was the first of several properties that he purchased in the Serra de Tramuntana. This is where he would host his illustrious guests, who included the French painter and writer Gaston Vuillier, the prehistorians Bartoli and Cartailhac, the poets Rubén Darío and Jacinto Verdaguer as well as the empress herself Sisi.
Currently, Miramar is owned privately but it has a museum that can be visited, dedicated to Ramon Llull and the Archduke. The inside of the house has preserved the old floor of the monastery, the kitchen of the monks, a model and a replica of the cabin of his yacht Nixe II (with furniture, books, sailing instruments, etc.), the magnificent cenotaph if Wratislao Vivorny, a work by the Italian sculptor Antonio Tantardini (1829-1879) and, among other things, a marble virgin by Carrara that is housed in the chapel, which was a gift from his cousin, the empress Sisi.
On the outside, an old oil press stands out, and you will also find a Byzantine garden, the cloister that Ludwig Salvator had built as a result of the recovery of some Gothic arches from the 13th century from the convent of Santa Margalida de Palma, and a series of vantage points such as those of S´Arxiduc, Sa Ferradura, the observation point of El Llac and that of the Garden of the Tower of the Moor, among others. All of them have spectacular panoramic views over the Mediterranean Sea.